What is the Snail of Approval?
In order to help guide people to food that is good, clean and fair, Slow Food Yolo awards the Snail of Approval to eateries and artisans contributing to the quality, authenticity, and sustainability of the food we eat and the beverages we drink in Yolo County.
The Snail of Approval:
• Recognizes and celebrates eateries and artisans contributing good, clean, and fair food to our community.
• Spreads awareness of the Slow Food philosophy, and the establishments that support it.
Quality is fundamental: food must taste good and be good for us. Quality includes:
• the freshness and wholesomeness of ingredients;
• the care and craft with which they are handled;
• the quality of life of consumers, producers and their neighbors.
Authenticity means that the food produced is true to its source, including:
• Natural products that are free of additives;
• Local and seasonal foods that are true to their time and place;
• Heirloom varietals and heritage breeds are true to their evolutionary history;
• Traditional foods are true to their cultural heritage.
Authentic foods come from, and contribute to, ecological and cultural systems that are good, clean and fair.
Sustainability means paying attention to the consequences of how food is produced and distributed, and reducing the negative impacts of food production. In order to be good stewards of the environment in which we live, we must:
• Protect the biodiversity on which we depend;
• Be humane to the animals we raise;
• Be fair to the people we employ:
• Insist that high quality food be available to all;
• Use processes that are good, clean and fair.